Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Eat the packet, throw away the chocolate


The Husband brought home some chocolate recently.  This wasn’t a huge surprise, given that in our house chocolate is one of five food groups. 

But this chocolate was different. 

It was natural and sugar-free chocolate.

Now, I have been to the Cadbury Chocolate Factory in Dunedin and I saw them making chocolate with cocoa beans, milk and sugar. What on earth is in sugar-free chocolate? Cocoa beans and milk?

Actually, it had a natural sweetener - Stevia - which isn’t sugar.  It has a lot less calories than cane sugar: it’s a lot sweeter, so you can use a lot less. But, it’s not cane sugar, and it tastes different.  

I tried a sample of Stevia in my coffee recently.  I could taste the difference, but The Husband couldn’t. But, then, he also thought the natural, sugar-free chocolate wasn’t too bad.

He was wrong.

It was awful. 

He said it’s because it was dark chocolate and I don’t normally eat dark chocolate. I say it’s the polydextrose and erythirol and isomalt they had to use in order to give it the same texture as dark chocolate! 

Here’s what I think: forget low-fat or low-sugar versions of foods. It’s the fat and the sugar that make them taste good. Eat the bad-for-you foods. Just don’t eat them all the time. Treat them as treat foods. 

Give me decent chocolate any day… just not every day. 

2 comments:

  1. AMEN!
    We had some sugar free chocolate given to us a little bit ago, it was foul, foul stuff. The white chocolate tasted even worse.
    I like the full fat, full sugar varieties of things, I just don't gorge myself on them.... most of the time.
    This is asking me to prove I'm not a robot by typing what I see in the box. I see a photo of a letterbox... I guess I'm a robot then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a close family friend who is a very strict diabetic and even she won't touch sugarless chocolate... she'd rather totally forgo chocolate!

    ReplyDelete